Are shorts appropriate if you’re approaching your 60s? Of course they are! Choose the right pieces and put your look together carefully, and you can be stylish, elegant and 60+ in your shorts.
Shorts are an ideal choice in all kinds of situations, especially when the weather starts to heat up. They can also be a more practical choice than skirts, especially if you’re very active or you’re not always comfortable in shorter skirts. If you love shorts, don’t let your age put you off wearing them.
Unless you’ve been working hard in the gym and have well-toned upper thighs you really want to show off, the most flattering length of shorts for people over sixty tends to be just above or right on the knee. Not everyone feels comfortable in very short shorts, especially if you wear something revealing on top too. If you feel comfortable then by all means go for it, but an overly skimpy outfit may not be your cup of tea.
To feel fabulous in shorts, choose a pair that flatters your gorgeous shape - rather than fights against it. It’s all about balancing your proportions. So, for example:
● If you have wide hips, choose shorts that have minimum pocket detail or pattern (as this will draw attention to the area) and are a dark colour to play down your lower half.
● If you have wide shoulders and narrower hips, you can go for shorts with pleats, patterns and more volume in the leg to add more visual weight to the bottom half of your silhouette.
● If you are an hourglass shape, you can enhance this by choosing shorts that show off your waist. You can do this with nearly any pair, just make sure you tuck in tops or add a belt to really accentuate that waistline and balance out your top and bottom halves.
● If you’re tall or short, colour matters when putting the whole look together. Tall women should wear their shorts with tops that are darker, while lighter tops are a good idea for people who are shorter. A final couple of rules to remember - always go for the best quality shorts you can find, and avoid shorts that are too tight.
Here are some top tips to help you select shorts for every occasion, from work and play to holidays and even formal occasions.
You can’t beat a pair of denim for everyday wear in the summer months. They are timeless, and perfect for women over sixty. Choose denim shorts that are just above the knee, and wear with a simple T-shirt, top or tunic for a laid-back look.
Linen and linen-look shorts are also a good wardrobe staple for summer. Choose a pair in a neutral colour and you can wear them with absolutely everything.
Depending on your workplace and how formal it is, shorts can be a great choice for hot summer days when you simply can’t bear to wear trousers. Stick to dark colours, in bermuda or knee-length shorts, and wear with a crisp white shirt and brogues or sandals for a fashion-forward look.
Striped shorts can also work in semi-formal environments, but make sure to keep the rest of your outfit neutral.
White bermuda shorts are the perfect choice of holiday shorts for women over 60. They will soon become one of your favourite wardrobe staples - honestly, you’ll wear them all the time. They’re classic, understated, elegant and timeless, and they go with so many things. Pair with a striped T-shirt or navy blue top in the daytime, or with a floral or bright print blouse for evening strolls along the beach before dinner.
Floral patterns and brighter colours are also perfect for holidays, especially in the evenings when worn with a pair of heeled sandals.
Heading to a low-key summer wedding? There’s no reason at all why you can’t wear a pair of beautiful formal shorts. Stylish over-60s can play with the look in tailored shorts and tucked-in patterned shirts, relaxed skater shorts (looser shorts, often high-waisted, that have the appearance of a skirt) or if they’re feeling bold - a shorts suit in a flattering colour.
When you’re sixty or over, it’s not so much the shorts you choose. It’s how you wear them, and the accessories you choose. When deciding what to wear with shorts, bear the following in mind:
● Looser tops tend to work best with shorts, but avoid styles that are too baggy as they may swamp your shape. Floaty tops, blouses and shirts are a good complement to shorts, and they’re perfect for keeping cool in hot summer temperatures. Remember that you can always partially or fully tuck in your top if you want to create a more shapely silhouette.
● Accessories are everything. A pair of fabulous shoes, a touch of elegant jewellery and a gorgeous tote bag can create a sophisticated, perfectly pulled-together look. It’s the difference between stylish, and a shorts look that doesn’t quite work for the situation or the age of the wearer.
● Neutral colours and classic stripes always work well with shorts. You can’t go wrong with a simple colour palette - think navy blue, white, black and cream/linen. A combination of these colours in your shorts, and in nautical-inspired striped tees, plain shirts and tunics, works wonderfully. You’ll create a capsule wardrobe for summer that never goes out of fashion, and that works for holidays, everyday occasions, work and formal situations too.
● Sandals are perfect with shorts. If you aren’t sure which shoes to wear with your shorts, sandals are always a safe bet. Sandals also come in a vast variety of different styles, from heeled sandals with a touch of sparkle for evening wear all the way through to casual thong sandals ideal for the beach.
Copyright © 2021 Chums
PayPal Representative Example:
Representative 21.9% APR (variable) Purchase interest rate 21.9% p.a. (variable) Assumed Credit limit £1,200
Finance provided by PayPal Credit. Credit subject to status. Terms and conditions apply. UK residents only.
CHUMS, Unity Grove, Knowsley Business Park, Liverpool, L34 9AR, acts as a broker and offers finance from PayPal Credit. PayPal Credit is trading name of PayPal (Europe)
S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349.)